Courtney graduated from the Kinesiology program at UFV in 2013. She specializes in pre and post-natal fitness and her passions are core stability and pelvic floor health. She works mainly with women, but also works on core and pelvic floor dysfunction with men. Some courses she has taken to continue her education are: Post Natal Fitness Specialist, Certified Pre and Post-Natal Coach (in progress), CSEP-Certified Personal Trainer, Functional Movement Systems, Soft Tissue Release, and Fascial Movement Taping. She previously worked in the physiotherapy field, but has found her niche in coaching/training.
Courtney was always active growing up. She was a competitive swimmer for ten years and a swim coach for three. She entered into Kinesiology once she reached university and it all progressed from there. Four years ago, in her first personal training job, a client of hers had diastasis recti. Researching this condition triggered Courtney’s passion for pre and post-natal fitness.
Courtney’s interest grew after getting pregnant herself and trying to navigate the chaos of the post-natal fitness industry. She understands how confusing and challenging it can be to get back to fitness after having a baby. She will do everything she can to get you back to fitness safely, while functioning your best in this “new” body. There is always a way to get moving again, even if you suffer from pelvic floor dysfunction, prolapse, or diastasis recti.
After moving back to the Fraser Valley, Courtney was lucky enough to get a job at Ascend Fitness + Lifestyle. Working at Ascend has been one of the best experiences she has had while being a Kinesiologist. The clients make this job amazing! Ascend is a small community that treats you like family, and her coworkers are always there to share their insights and enthusiasm. Thanks to the flexibility of the job, Courtney is able to balance her career and family life, which includes plenty of quality time with her three year-old son.
After recently being diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in both of her feet and hip, fitness has been a struggle, but everyone at Ascend has helped keep her “in the game” mentally. She is re-building what fitness looks like to her. This is another reason why this community is so amazing – everyone is there to support you through anything.
Rapid Fire Questions:
- What is your all-time go to healthy meal? Veggie (with or without chicken) stir fry with chickpeas over zucchini noodles with teriyaki sauce.
- People would be surprised if they knew…She has traveled to Antigua twice with the University to teach physical and health education for a month at a time.
- What are your hobbies/other interests? Kayaking, swimming, hiking, reading, coffee.
- Choose your Mr. Men/Little Miss, to describe your work personality…Little Miss Bossy; mainly when it comes to your posture!
- What are three words you would use to describe our culture at Ascend? Uplifting, Passionate, Fun
- Favourite quote/inspiration: “Be like a duck; calm on the surface, but paddling like the dickens underneath.” – Michael Cane